Mr. Hughes began working in S.W. Warren's drug store in 1865 and was made partner in 1870. Two years later he purchased the business and remodeled this building into the Italianate style in 1877 for his drug store. The cabinetry on the north and south sides of the front room plus the partition with its stained glass are parts of that remodeling. The building on this site prior to 1877 was probably built in the 1850s.
In 1887 Mr. Hughes sold the store to druggist, J.C. Simmons, whose name appears in the tile work at the front entry. He also installed the tile flooring in the front room. Mr. Simmons operated the drug store for 58 years, until his death in 1945. Many of the apothocary bottles and equipment on display were used by these two pharmacists.
The Simmon's estate sold the building to the physician whose office was on the 2nd floor, Dr. William H. Goodson, Sr. Dr. Goodson had maintained his practice there from 1907 until his death in 1963. He hired Clarence Ferril, who had worked for Mr. Simmons on and off since 1916, to run the pharmacy.
The Goodson family sold the building to the Clay County Museum Association and the Museum was opened in 1965. A drug store for at least 84 years became 2 then 3 floors of artifacts celebrating its 50th anniversary as a museum in 2015.
A variety of exhibits and ever changing displays acquaints visitors with Clay Countys past history. The newly renovated lower level features early cottage industries, farming equipment, tools, a vintage kitchen, a "touch table" and 1900s Boy Scout equipment. The main floor is divided by a glass partition with vintage display cases filled with china, toys, railroad artifacts and apothecary paraphernalia. Behind the partition the visitor will find letters by the Jesse James family; Civil War, WWI and WWII items; antiques quilts; and Native American artifacts.
The 2nd floor includes Dr. Goodson's office, as set up by his son also Dr. Goodson; 3 rooms of antique furniture; and displays of the county courthouses, vintage sewing machines and other bits and pieces of the past.