Updated: May 17
From the Methodist Episcopal Church South Liberty, Missouri 1922-23 booklet:
"Historical Sketch of the Local Church."
"The Liberty Methodist Church had a feeble beginning. As early as 1822 Liberty is mentioned as preaching point on the Fishing River Circuit. The Church was at different times a part of the Fishing River, Lexington, Richmond and Weston Circuits.
The building now occupied by the Christian Scientists, and erected in the forties, is the first house of which we have any record which the Methodists owned as a place of worship.
A frame church was built on West Franklin Street in the early sixties. This was supplanted in 1895 by the old part of the present church.
The auditorium and basement of the present church were built in 1912. In 1922 the interior of the church was decorated, the pipe organ installed, and new furnaces were put into the church. The church today has 320 members, is stronger than ever before in her history, and growing all the time."
Chery Carr Holtman, curator, Clay County Museum